August 21, 2007

Report: Jeremiah Trotter Cut


According the Anthony Gargano of 610WIP, the Eagles have released veteran MLB Jeremiah Trotter. No official word from the Eagles yet, but Gargano is a close friend of Trott, and you would have to think that this information was given to him by Jeremiah himself.

I think this sucks personally. Trotter vowed to come into camp in shape, ready to go, but I guess the coaches did not like what they saw from him in the pre-season. I know this is how the NFL works, but it just sucks to see one of your favorite players just get tossed to the curb like that.

UPDATE: Trotter to have a 1 pm press conference today. Apparently Reid gave him the option of retire, or be cut, and Jeremiah asked to be released. They had an agreement that if he was not where they wanted him to be, they would release him now so he could find a new team to play for.

The story has been confirmed by ESPN, and the Eagles have already replaced Trott on the depth chart with Omar Gaither.

The home page has confirmed this as well. Here is a quote from Andy Reid.

"Jeremiah is one of my favorite guys," said head coach Andy Reid. "There's no question that this is the toughest part of this job. He and I met about this last night and it was very emotional for both of us. Jeremiah and I have been together for many years and he's played a vital role in helping this team win a lot of football games. He developed himself into a Pro Bowl middle linebacker through a lot of hard work and desire. In my mind, he will always be a Philadelphia Eagle and I'm sure he feels the same way. I wish he and his family nothing but the best."
>>PhiladelphiaEagles.com

>>Eagles LIVE has fan reactions, interviews from Andy Reid, Trotter, Takeo Spikes, and Brian Dawkins.

No comments: