August 09, 2007

Celek Catches Reid's Eye


Andy Reid admitted he doesn't like doing it, but then did it any way.

Asked to name some players who have exceeded his expectations, the head coach listed three names, starting with rookie tight end Brent Celek.

"I hate picking guys out," Reid said. "But obviously you guys have seen the tight-end situation with Celek. It looks like he's done a nice job."

That may not be much of a quote, but it's quite a compliment for Celek, a fifth-round pick out of Cincinnati who has run with the starting offense because of L.J. Smith's delayed return from sports-hernia surgery.

"It's a good feeling, but I can't sit here and dwell on it," Celek said after special-teams practice yesterday. "I know, and I know [Reid] knows, that I need to get a lot better. . . . I have to keep working hard."

Celek has run solid routes and shown good hands during the first two weeks of training camp, but now he wants to see how he measures up in a preseason game. He probably will run with the first-team offense Monday night against the Baltimore Ravens. It seems unlikely that Smith will play.
..Continue reading from the Philadelphia Inquirer>>

No comments: